Monday, December 7, 2009

Our New Neighbor

We have had a great fall! The boys have loved going out and "helping" James rake up leaves. It has been a beautiful fall. About a month ago we noticed this strange bird roaming around our neighborhood.
She has a mutual fear of the boys. They are fascinated with her, but keep their distance. She roams the neighborhood, but keeps mostly to our yard and our neighbor's yard. She has stopped traffic crossing the street. As it has gotten colder and no one has come to claim her we started to get worried about her. The kids even started praying for her in their prayers. I called Tracy Aviary, Wild life Services, etc... She is not a protected species, our little Peahen. They told me to call Animal Control if she is a bother....I know what that will mean. So we have claimed her and feed her. The kids call her Snowflake and look forward to finding her each morning sunning herself on our garbage cans, kitchen bay window ledge, or backyard fence. (I am always relieved to find her alive every morning and not lying dead on our driveway. How do I explain that to the kids?)
I will take any advice you can give me, but until then....ain't she a beauty???

7 comments:

Sally said...

She is adorable! Wish we could've seen her last night!

Julie Markham said...

Oh, she's beautiful. Enjoy her!

Cannon Clan said...

I think with that, a little white wine and garlic would be the best. Bring it for Christmas dinner, Love ya sis.
P.S Heidi is making me say to the blogging world that this is Reed.

Denice said...

We've been wondering about that peahen too!! Frequently she is on top of my van when I come out. She's on my blog twice now. . . I'm glad she being fed, at least. I really wonder where she came from!?

Sara Corinne said...

If I were in your situation (remember I'm a bleeding heart for animals) I would construct a bird house for her and hope she nests. How cute would it be for your boys to see baby peahens in Spring?

Unless she's instinctively planning on migrating south. Maybe do some research before you get plywood?

The Burts said...

Oh wow! That is crazy. It looks like a bird that would be at the Tracy Aviary.

Rachel Anderson said...

I'm curious - is she still around??